Thursday, February 3, 2011

Investment

With my students, I sometimes do priority lists. What do you spend most of your time doing? What tasks are most important to you? This helps them to figure out how to break up their time and hopefully become better at managing their time.

I think it applies to our thinking, too. What do you spend most of your time thinking about?

For me, I want to try to think most about myself. I don't mean that in an egotistical way, but in a "be the change you wish to see in the world" kind of way. I can't change people's behaviors. I can give my opinions if I decide that's appropriate, but I can't change people. I can only decide how I want to react to them.

I try my best to understand why people act the way they do. Why would someone say that? Why do they think that is productive and helping the relationship? This way of thinking helps, somewhat. It is more helpful though to just let it go. Let people say what they want to me. If they need to get things off their chest in order to feel better, great. As long as I know that I am doing what I want to do, what makes me happy, then I am okay.

I know things won't always be perfect and I certainly don't want to hurt people. I also know that sometimes you hurt the people you love without wanting to. I think about the effect that I am having on others, but sometimes I just need to think about what is making me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment